A Costa Rica Holiday is a perfect choice for those with an interest in discovering a unique, extremely biodiverse and beautiful little Central American country that has very strong eco credentials. Vacations to Costa Rica can include flopping on one of the many golden sandy beaches, rafting through smouldering tropical forests, cycling to the base of fiery volcanoes, trekking through the jungles, and indulging in some of their most famous exports- coffee and chocolate. A small country that is abundant with different habitats and weather patterns make Costa Rica an ideal multi centre holiday destination for all ages.
Things to do in Costa Rica
When looking at all the things to do in Costa Rica it can be tricky knowing where to start- that is what we are here for! We have put this short list of the highlights of Costa Rica to give you a feel for what a holiday to the could include. If you have previosly travelled with Odyssey Travels you will know that we enjoy finding out all about you first, then we can make suggestions that are perfect for your holiday.
Below are our top headline acts of things to do in Costa Rica. For more information about things to do in Costa Rica, please do get in touch as we would love to speak to you about all the possibilities.
• ACTIVITIES The volcanic region of Arenal is an outdoor enthusiasts playground full of adventures. Adrenaline junkies can enjoy zip wires, whitewater rafting, mountain biking and more. For nature lovers looking for something a little slower paced then the hanging bridges through the jungle or trekking in the volcanic national parks before soothing your muscles in the hot springs under the stars may be just the ticket.
• WILDLIFE If the main reason for your Costa Rica trip is the wildlife then visiting the Osa Peninsula and the Corcovado National Park should be at the top of your wish list. This little peninsula that is best accessed by a small flight is home to 150 butterfly species, 500 bird species, 124 kinds of mammal, 5,000 plants and all within a 164 square mile radius. For nature lovers, this is heaven. In thi sarea there are also some firs class eco resorts.
• BEACHES Costa Ricas coast on the west is the Pacific, and on the east, the Caribbean. With so many different beaches offering something a little different we can talk you through the pros and cons of each location. Do you love seclusion and privacy whilst staying at a boutique hotel? do you like the facilities that cater for all the family at a resort? maybe a staffed villa? Are you looking for a cool town with surf?There really are lots of options dotted on the Pacific and Carribbean coasts that we talk you through.
• SAFARI Families looking for an introduction to the wildlife of Costa Rica need look no further than Tortguero in the north east. You can stay at one of the family orientated jungle lodges on the banks of the river and eplore the jungles and flooded waterways for sloths, caiman, monkeys, poison dart frogs and more. If you holiday in August, July or September then you have a very high chance of seing leather back turtles returning to their place of birth to lay their eggs.
• BIRDING Many birders, both novice to the keenest of twitchers, head to Costa Rica for the +900 birds. The cloudforest of Monteverde is surrounded by protected National parks that people travel far and wide too. A large appeal of the area is for birders looking to spot the majestic bird, the resplendent Quetzal. There are other cloudforests like Los Quetzales National Park close to San Gerardo de Dota that is also a lush park, the accommodation is just a little simpler.
- HEALTH & WELLNESS Yoga, palates, clean eating, sustainability and living at one with nature is something Costa Rica has been doing for years. Recently it has become more popular and many of the better eco resorts offer a multitude of health and wellness programs. From intensive and emmersive weeks to just an hour or so a day.